Abridged Birth Certificate
An abridged birth certificate is a computer print out (without the parents details), and is normally used in South Africa (to open bank accounts etc) The certificate can be apostilled or legalised but please ensure that the abridged will be accepted overseas.
+/- 1 week.
Dependent on the number of certificates required. Please email us on firstname.lastname@example.org for a detailed quote.
Unabridged Birth Certificate
An unabridged birth certificate shows both the applicants parents details (Home Affairs locates the original birth registration document in the archives and all details from this document are placed in the unabridged birth certificate) .
Home Affairs have removed the word UNABRIDGED from the top of the certificate - but as long as it states both parents details - it is the unabridged.
The unabridged birth certificate is a computer print out and the document can be apostilled or legalised.
When will you require an unabridged Birth Certificate?
• Emigration purposes
• Visas for certain countries
UNABRIDGED birth certificate (UBB)
We can assist one of two ways
Option 1 – an expedite UBB option
- You can go to Home Affairs in SA(or ask a family member in SA if you are out of the country)and apply for the unabridged certificates needed (current SA ID numbers and full details of the birth / marriage required) - and then you can contact us to expedite those applications for you (+/-R590.00 per application - and expediting takes +/- 3-6 weeks) On completion the unabridged certificate will need to be collected again at the office of application .
Option 2 - new UBB application
- We can have your applications submitted via an agency we use and then it costs +/- R1250.00 an application (takes 8 weeks and possibly longer as Home Affairs have a huge backlog) - excluding return courier.
For this option we require:
- the copy of the ID / birth certificate of the applicant or if it is a marriage certificate - a copy the marriage certificate or IDs copies of both parties to the marriage
- The Department of Home Affairs also requires a copy of the marriage register for any marriage after 2000
Also if we assist with any applications older than 1950 – we cannot state how long it will take for either option I or 2
In the event that you have already applied at a Home Affairs in SA:
Please can you advise
- Where and when did you applied?
- Please contact the call center to get the latest status update on the application and then email me the status then we can proceed with a quote: They might have requested additional documents that is delaying the application
HOME AFFAIRS CONTACT CENTRE - please just be patient when calling this number as they are very busy and it can take a while to speak to an agent - the best time would be 7:30 am
0800 60 11 90
Costs dependent on the number of certificates required.
Vault Copy of Birth Certificate
• A vault copy of a birth certificate is a CERTIFIED copy of the actual birth registration form when the birth was first registered. These copies are usually needed to prove the right to citizenship or a passport I.e British Passport. You need to apply for the vault copies at a Home Affairs in SA /or at a SA Embassy overseas and there is no option to expedite these applications presently.
• The vault copy of a birth certificate can be apostilled or legalised and this we can assist with.
We unfortunately do not offer a service to obtain or expedite vault copies.
Please click on REQUEST A QUOTE above and:
- state which document you require assistance with
- complete all the details and we will gladly assist.