In a society where many still believe in second chances and rehabilitation, but where background checks have become more vigorous for anyone seeking employment, the obvious question that would arise is, can you get a job with a criminal record in South Africa?
The stigma attached to a criminal history can be a significant barrier, but with the right approach and assistance, individuals can overcome these challenges.
In this blog we’re going to explore the possibilities of obtaining employment with a criminal record in South Africa, as well as introducing the valuable document procurement services provided by Doc Assist in obtaining a clean Police Clearance Certificate (PCC).
Can You get a Job with a Criminal Record in South Africa?
South Africa, like many other countries, faces the issue of reintegration of individuals with criminal records into the workforce. The burden of past mistakes can be overwhelming, making it difficult for these individuals to find employment. Employers may be hesitant to hire someone with a criminal record due to concerns about trust, reliability, and potential risks to the workplace.
However, it’s essential to recognise that everyone deserves an opportunity for redemption and a chance to rebuild their lives. Wherever possible, the law will encourage fair treatment and the rehabilitation of offenders, emphasising the importance of giving individuals with criminal records a chance to contribute positively to society.
The Role of Police Clearance in Employment
One crucial step towards improving your chances of landing a job with a criminal record is obtaining a Police Clearance certificate. This document, issued by the South African Police Service (SAPS) Criminal Records Centre (CRC), provides a record of an individual’s criminal convictions or lack thereof.
Many employers request this clearance as part of their background checks, and having a clean record can significantly enhance your employability.
Doc Assist: Your Partner in Obtaining Police Clearance
Navigating the process of obtaining a Police Clearance certificate can be daunting, but with the assistance of Doc Assist, the journey becomes more manageable. Doc Assist offers a streamlined and efficient service to help individuals obtain their Police Clearance Certificates.
Doc Assist is proud to offer their reliable police clearance service at truly reasonable rates, especially when you take into account the frustration that inevitably arises when making applications for official documents such as a PCC on your own.
Should you have a police record and would like to have the record expunged, giving you the opportunity to start afresh. The team at Doc Assist make it easy for you to start the process of obtaining a clean PCC.
Criminal Record Expungement via Doc Assist
- Online Application:
- Start the process from the comfort of your home by submitting your application online. Once you’ve provided Doc Assist with the nature of the conviction, 2 sets of fingerprints and 4 ID or Passport photos, you will receive a quotation that will start the process if you accept it.
- Document Verification:
- Doc Assist reviews and verifies your documents to ensure accuracy and completeness, which is crucial in avoiding delays in the application process.
- SAPS Submission:
- Doc Assist acts as an intermediary, submitting your application to the SAPS CRC in Pretoria on your behalf. This eliminates the need for you to navigate the bureaucratic process on your own. This team submits applications on a daily basis, ensuring that they are registered on the SAPS system.
- Status Updates:
- Doc Assist keeps you informed about the status of your application, providing updates on its progress. This transparency helps alleviate any anxiety associated with the waiting period.
Having a criminal record expunged requires patience, as this process can take up to 6 months for the approved PCC without a criminal record to be issued.
The professionals at Doc Assist first apply for a PCC with a criminal record, which is then submitted to start the expungement process.
Once the expungement has been approved, they will then apply on your behalf for a new police clearance certificate without the criminal record.
The delays experienced in obtaining a PCC in South Africa is due to a major backlog at the Criminal Records Centre, however, with the help of Doc Assist, you will always know where you stand as the application progresses.
- Delivery of Certificate:
- Once the Police Clearance certificate is issued, and once you have approved the scanned copy emailed to you, Doc Assist will ensure its prompt delivery via courier to the address supplied with your application.
Take Proactive Steps Towards Clearing a Criminal Record
While securing employment with a criminal record in South Africa certainly poses challenges, it’s not an insurmountable task. With the support of the team at Doc Assist, individuals can take proactive steps to obtain a clean police clearance certificate, enhancing their chances of landing a job.
Contact Doc Assist to find out more about what these professionals can do to assist you on your journey to rebuilding your life, and begin with taking positive and decisive actions to a more secure future.