Home 5 Death Certificates

Death Certificate Application

The Department of Home Affairs will issue a Death Certificate on receipt of the notification of death (Form BI-1663) and the Death Report (Form BI-1680).
Applications for a Death Certificate must be lodged at any office of the Department of Home Affairs or at any South African embassy, mission or consulate if the death occurs abroad.


An abridged death certificate is a computer print out (without the full details of the death). The death needs to have already been registered at Home Affairs and we do require the ID number and details of the death.

Processing Time:

1 week.

We will require all details of the death including the ID number.


Dependent on the number of certificates required. Please email us on quote@docassist.co.za for a detailed quote.


Unabridged Death Certificate

An unabridged death certificate is a certificate of  showing the full details of the person and death.

The unabridged death certificate is a computer print out and the document can be apostilled or legalised.

We can only assist by expediting an application that has already been submitted at a Home Affairs office in SA.

When will you require an unabridged Death Certificate?

•             Emigration purposes

•             Visas for certain countries

 Processing time to expedite the application

+/- 3-6 weeks – depending on how easily the records are located in the archives.

Costs dependent on the number of certificates required. Please email us on quote@docassist.co.za for a detailed quote.


Vault Copy of Death Certificate

• A vault copy of a  original death registration document. These copies are usually needed to prove the right to citizenship or a passport  I.e British Passport

• The vault copy of a birth certificate can be apostilled or legalised.

We unfortunately do not offer this service

Please click on REQUEST A QUOTE above complete all the details and we will gladly assist.

Notary services

Apostille of Documents

Police clearance

Birth certificates

Drivers Licences

Academic documents

Translation services

Matric/school certificate

Marriage certificates

Death Certificates

Divorce Order


E2 Visa (South Korea)

Embassy verification

British Documents

Teacher Enrollment

Chat with us on WhatsApp