Home 5 Marriage certificates

Marriage Certificate Application

An Abridged Typed Marriage Certificate, is issued by the Home Affairs department to the couple after the marriage. This Abridged Marriage Certificate is sufficient for couples who are living in South Africa, and it will also be accepted in certain countries overseas with an apostille  / authentication – please just confirm that the country you intend using it in will accept this version.

Both parties have to still be alive and married to each other. And we will require the 13 digit SA ID numbers

Processing Time:

+/- 2  weeks


Dependent on the number of certificates required.  Please request a quote on-line or email quote@docassist.co.za


A letter of non impediment is a letter issued by the Department of Home Affairs stating your marital status.

We will provide approximate processing times on your detailed quote

This is normally required if you intend getting married in an overseas country. In most instances you will require the letter of no impediment to be apostilled / authenticated by DIRCO and we will gladly assist with this for you.  We will need you to send us the original letter of no impediment in order for us to proceed with the legalisation process

Please request a quote on-line or email quote@docassist.co.za

Please provide the following information in the quote request:

1. Which country you will require the document to be legalised for

2. To which country we need to return the document and 

3. If you require the original Letter of no impediment to legalised or a notarised copy.


  • Also know as  a “full marriage certificate”  – Home Affairs locates the original marriage registration document in the archives to complete the information required for the unabridged certificate.  It contains detailed information on the particulars of the marriage.

    When will you require an unabridged Marriage Certificate?

    • Emigration purposes
    • Visas for certain countries

    UNABRIDGED marriage  certificate

    We can assist one of two ways


    (you apply at Home Affairs – we expedite – you collect where applied for)

    • you apply at Home Affairs and
    • we expedite (get it completed) –
    • and on completion you collect again at the Home Affairs where you applied
    • processing time : we will provide approximate processing times on your detailed quote


    Option 2 – AGENCY APPLICATION – only available in certain instances

    (agency applies on your behalf  – they collect on completion  – DHL to you)

    Current update – the agent can submit the applications at the moment and as soon as the Head office reopens they will work on the applications

    • we have an agent that submits the application at Home Affairs (as this is outsourced option and more expensive)
    • on completion they collect and
    • we DHL to your address
    • Processing time : we will provide approximate processing times on your detailed quote

    We will require 13 digit SA ID numbers in all instances as well as the dates of birth / marriage / death for the person whose application this is in all instances. NOTE: we do not assist with applications older than 1940


    The costs depends on how many certificates are required.


When applying for certain foreign passports, for example British , Irish and German, a Vault Marriage Certificate is required. This is a copy of the original “marriage registration” that was submitted to Home Affairs by the marriage officer. This copy is then date stamped and certified by the Department of Home Affairs.

We can assist with the legalization of vault copies if required.


Please click on REQUEST A QUOTE above and:

  • state which document  you require assistance with
  • complete all the details and we will gladly assist.

Notary services

Apostille of Documents

Police clearance

Birth certificates

Drivers Licences

Academic documents

Translation services

Matric/school certificate

Marriage certificates

Death Certificates

Divorce Order


E2 Visa (South Korea)

Embassy verification

British Documents

Teacher Enrollment

Chat with us on WhatsApp