Changing a child’s surname can be a significant decision, often triggered by marital transitions or non-marital births. In South Africa, the law dictates the consent of both parents for surname alterations, but exceptions exist under specific circumstances.

Eligibility for Surname Change Without Parental Consent

The Children’s Act of 2005 mandates parental consent for surname changes. However, instances permit a parent to apply without the other’s approval:


  1. Parental Absence or Deceased: If a parent has abandoned their parental responsibilities or is deceased, the remaining parent can initiate the surname change process.
  2. Untraceable or Missing Parent: When a parent cannot be located or is missing, the other parent may apply for a surname change without consent.
  3. Child Born Out of Wedlock: For children born to unmarried parents, a surname change can be pursued without the non-biological parent’s consent.

Required Documents for Surname Change

To proceed with a surname change without parental approval, the following documents are necessary:


  1. Surname Change Application Form: Obtain this form from the Department of Home Affairs or a documents agent.
  2. Original Child’s Birth Certificate: The child’s birth certificate serves as the legal basis for the surname change.
  3. Child’s ID or Passport (if applicable): For children over 16, their ID or passport is required.
  4. Written Consent (if applicable): If the other parent consents, provide their written approval.
  5. Death Certificate (if applicable): If a parent is deceased, the death certificate is mandatory.
  6. Reasons Affidavit (if applicable): Explain the reasons for the surname change in an affidavit.

Simplified Surname Change Process with Documents Agent

Eliminating the complexities of the surname change process can be achieved through a document agent like Doc Assist. Here’s their step-by-step approach:

  1. Contact Doc Assist: Provide them with the required documents.
  2. Document Verification and Guidance: Doc Assist will review the documents and guide you through the process.
  3. Application Fee Payment: Settle the fee for the new birth certificate application.
  4. DHA Application on Your Behalf: Doc Assist will process the application with the Department of Home Affairs.
  5. New Birth Certificate Collection and Delivery: Once approved, Doc Assist will retrieve and deliver the new birth certificate to you via DHL.


Surname changes are sensitive matters, and the law prioritizes parental consent. However, exceptions allow a parent to proceed without the other’s approval under specific circumstances. Employing a documents agent like Doc Assist simplifies the process, ensuring a smooth and hassle-free surname change for your child.


Chat with us on WhatsApp