The South African divorce law process can be very complicated and lengthy. It is important to understand all of the steps involved to make sure that you are not taken advantage of by your spouse or by the court system.


One of the first things that you will need to do is obtain a marriage certificate. This can be done by contacting the office of the registrar of marriages in the province where the marriage took place. If you don’t want the hassle of applying directly with the Department of Home Affairs or you have time constraints, you might want to consider hiring a documents agent like Doc Assist to help you obtain your marriage certificate. Once you have the marriage certificate, you will need to file for divorce in the correct court.


The divorce process can be very stressful and emotional. Having to deal with the frustration of dealing with DHA on top of that won’t do you any favours. 


Can I oppose a divorce?

Depending on the grounds chosen by the applicant, it may be possible to oppose a divorce. This is more likely to be the case in cases which involve fault-based divorces, such as desertion or adultery. In such cases, the respondent can dispute the facts or merits of the divorce and contest the application. This could be done by submitting an affidavit or filing written representations and providing documentary evidence to challenge the proposed divorce. The court will then decide whether the evidence presented is sufficient to deny the divorce application.


The South African divorce law process can be lengthy and complicated. It is important to be aware of the various steps involved and to seek professional legal advice to ensure that your rights are protected. Doc Assist can help you obtain your marriage certificate, quickly and efficiently so you can focus on the rest. For more information, get in touch today.


Chat with us on WhatsApp