When you register a birth at the Department of Home Affairs, you will receive an abridged birth certificate for free. An abridged South African birth certificate is a computer printout without the names of parents. An abridged birth certificate can only be used in South Africa. It is typically used to enrol children in school. However, it can’t be used to travel abroad. 


Unabridged birth certificates are required by law for South African minor children that will be travelling abroad. These full birth certificates contain information about the child’s parents and are required to help combat the reality that is child trafficking.


The Department of Home Affairs has, however, revised the obligation for non-South African minors travelling to our country to have a birth certificate. The country allows foreign children under 18 to enter without additional documents such as consent letters and birth certificates, as long as their parents accompany them. 


How Do I Apply for an Unabridged Birth Certificate?

For children under 18 who still require an Unabridged Birth Certificate, you can apply at a DHA branch or a South African embassy in your home country. There is a charge of R75.00.


But, we have to be honest, it’s no walk in the park. You will have to wait in line for hours, and once the application is submitted, it can take up to six months for your unabridged birth certificate to be ready.


There is an easier and faster way — using a document agent like DocAssist. We can take care of the entire process for you, or if you’ve already applied and waited (not so patiently), we can expedite the process for you. 


Doc Assist aims to make applying for legal documents as painless as possible. You can expect shorter waiting times, making it easier to plan your schedule. In South Africa or abroad, we can assist you in securing the documents you need. For more information or to request a quote, get in touch with DocAssist today. 


Chat with us on WhatsApp