It may be necessary for you to provide an unabridged marriage certificate as part of legal proceedings. This article explains exactly what an unabridged marriage certificate is and how we can assist you in obtaining one.


Please be informed! Home Affairs has not updated the information in the DHA system for all marriages. Therefore, it is not guaranteed that you will receive an unabridged marriage certificate without completing a DHA-30 marriage registration form. On the day you get married, you will sign the DHA-30 form (typically with two photos and your fingerprints).

What Is an Unabridged Marriage Certificate?

It is a legal document that demonstrates that two people have entered into a marriage partnership and that their marriage contract is legally enforceable. It is used in jurisdictions where a marriage license is not available, and it serves as proof that the couple is legally married.


In accordance with some authorities, unabridged marriage certificates serve a dual purpose. These certificates prove that the marriage was legal and they also show that witnesses were present during the ceremony. Unabridged marriage certificates are sometimes referred to as full marriage certificates.

Unabridged Marriage Certificates: What Are They Used For?

The unabridged marriage certificate may also be required for adoptions or citizen applications before applying for travel documents or visas for specific countries.

How Do I Obtain an Unabridged Marriage Certificate?

DocAssist specializes in legal document assistance in South Africa and can ease the stress of obtaining an unabridged marriage certificate for you. We require the following documents:


  • A clear scan of your ID and your spouse’s ID in PDF format
  • The DHA-30 (marriage register) received on your wedding day
  • Completed forms scanned in PDF format.

Unabridged Marriage Certificate Processing Times

It may take up to one year for an unabridged marriage certificate application to be processed. The process may take longer if the original records cannot be located in the Archives of Home Affairs.


At Doc Assist, we can help you apply for an unabridged marriage certificate. The entire process will be handled by our staff. Our company streamlines the application process for an unabridged marriage certificate with the Department of Home Affairs. We are ready to assist you whenever you require legal documents. Please do not hesitate to contact us.


Chat with us on WhatsApp