When it comes to who has more rights to a child in South Africa, the mother and father are both equally entitled to the rights of parenting their child. According to South African law, the mother and father both have rights to parenthood, and the legal system is designed to ensure that both parents have a fair and equal chance of being involved in their child’s upbringing and future.


In the event of a divorce or separation, the mother and father have a legal obligation to work together to ensure that the child’s best interests are met. This means that both parents should actively participate in making decisions about the child’s upbringing, including decisions about his or her education, healthcare, and religion. Under South African law, the rights of both parents are equal, and both have the right to access their child’s birth and medical records, as well as their child’s personal information.


In cases of dispute between the parents, the South African court system will consider the child’s best interests when making its decision. This means that the court will not automatically rule in favour of one parent or the other, but will instead consider the welfare of the child and the best interests of all involved. The court may order joint custody, or it may decide that one parent should be the primary custodian of the child. In either case, both parents will still have legal rights to the child and will be able to access their child’s records and personal information.


The South African legal system also allows for a number of parenting plans, which are agreements between the parents that outline the roles and responsibilities of each parent. These plans may include decisions about where the child will live, the amount of time each parent will spend with the child and financial support for the child. The court may order the parents to create a parenting plan, or it may allow the parents to create their own plan.


Unmarried fathers now have the option to have their child registered under their surname without the mother’s explicit consent. However, this does not mean that any information already on the birth certificate can be changed. If the parents are married, then the child will usually be registered under the father’s surname. On the other hand, if the parents are not married, the child can be registered under either parent’s surname.


If you need to obtain an abridged or unabridged birth certificate for a child, the parent or legal guardian must submit a completed Form BI-24 (in black ink) to the nearest Department of Home Affairs office in South Africa, or the nearest South African embassy, consulate, or mission if they are based overseas. If you would prefer an easier, quicker way to apply for the birth certificate, you can always use the services of a document agent like DocAssist. DocAssist can provide more information on how to apply, so get in touch with them today!


Chat with us on WhatsApp